Youth in Action: Holbrook Sophomore Represents a Statewide Movement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rachel Cohan speaking about her passion for tobacco prevention and public health advocacy.

Sarah Ryan

Sarah Ryan

Sarah Ryan

Sarah Ryan, Editor in Chief

Rachel Cohan, a sophomore at Holbrook Middle-High School, is an outspoken activist for youth substance abuse prevention. On January 30th, she was featured as a panelist at the Boston’s Youth in Action event in Roxbury. She spoke about tobacco prevention, tying in her personal experiences and representing the messages of The 84 Movement. The 84 is a statewide, youth tobacco prevention movement that works to empower and inspire young leaders. The number 84 represents the 84% of youth who did not smoke cigarettes when the movement began. Ten years later, that number has reached 92%.

As a member Statewide Leadership Team (SLT), Rachel helps plan events, facilitates workshops, recruits new members, and speaks on behalf of the movement. During the panel discussion, Rachel explained that she became involved in tobacco prevention after learning that the industry targets people with mental illnesses. She said, “Mental illness personally affects my life and my friends’ lives. It’s despicable that they would prey on… people [when] they’re most vulnerable.”

What keeps me coming back is the uniqueness of the job, knowing that I can make a real difference.”

— Rachel Cohan

Carly Caminiti, the program manager for The 84 Movement, was also a panelist at the event. She says that “a lot of people think the tobacco problem is solved,” but this is really not the case. Carly went on to explain that, while young people are less likely to smoke cigarettes, the industry continues to target them with other tobacco products, like e-cigarettes.

This is Rachel’s second year on the Statewide Leadership Team, after joining in November of 2016. She has spoken at major events, like Kick Butts Day and the Youth Power Summit, and has additionally represented the movement at local meetings, such as the Bulldogs Care panel she spoke on in September. Rachel says that she is “always grateful” for the opportunity to make a difference.

When asked about obstacles she has faced in her community, Rachel said that people aren’t always willing to admit that there is a substance abuse problem in Holbrook. In her opinion, people are quick to respond to every other issue, but when it comes to addiction, “we just never seem to get around to it.”

There are dozens of organizations that young people can become involved in, but to Rachel, The 84 is special. Her work in advocacy and education stands out to her among every other activity. She says, “What keeps me coming back is the uniqueness of the job, knowing that I can make a real difference.”

Sarah Ryan, Editor-in-Chief

Sarah Ryan is the Editor-in-Chief of The Holbrook Hub. She admits to being “just a little bit in love” with newspaper and hopes to pursue writing as...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Youth in Action: Holbrook Sophomore Represents a Statewide Movement”

1. Dirceu Santos on February 28th, 2018 2:46 pm

I’m so proud of you Rachel. Yes, you can make a real difference, you’re such a brilliant person. I miss all of you from my Physics Honors Class 2016/2017. I wish all the best.

2. Smithd337 on April 13th, 2018 9:17 am

I got this website from my friend who told me concerning this web site and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative content here. kfddbbacddcedfbg

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Youth in Action: Holbrook Sophomore Represents a Statewide Movement

News

Encouraging Notes Blanket Hallways for Valentines Day

News

Meet Ms. Toye, Holbrook’s Newest Biology Teacher

News

Girls Varsity Basketball Beat SSCA at Monteith Classic

News

Behind the Success of “Code Blue”

News

Robotics Team Off To A Good Start

News

New Awards Program Recognizes Excellent Middle Schoolers

News

Middle School Holiday Kickoff

News

Meet Ms. Neary

News

Ecuador Trip Planned for Next Year

News

Mr. Oliveira Leaving to Pursue a New Position